So what happens now? Well, it looks like Secret Santa 2017 is going ahead. So if you want to take part, here's the details that Ian set out in previous years.
Each person joining in the Secret Santa are given a name and details of their target (your being selected for someone else to buy for). The spend should be around £15 or equivalent plus postage, we try to pick someone in your own Country as a target, but you can always buy via the internet in your targets country to cut down cost.
Below are the rules in a little more detail.
1. To enter you need to either have a blog or be a regular follower of this blog already. This is to give confidence to all involved that everyone will follow through to the end. If you have a blog and don't follow this one it's OK to join in.
2. The present should be around £15 plus postage (best to buy the present actually in the country the receiver lives in, so cutting down postage costs)
3. It's OK to have a wish list, but it's just as good to buy something you think the person would like. Blog details of your target are given so you can snoop.
4. Whilst it's not essential, it really does help when the buying participant checked in with the organiser to let them know the target had incoming.
5. You should promote the Secret Santa on your blog to hopefully increase the numbers joining in.
6. You should sign up by Sunday 22nd October, so to allow time for picking gifts.
7. Gifts should arrive no later than 20th December, if possible. It's fine to get the supplier to send direct to the target - though getting them to add 'Secret Santa' on the address, or parcel somewhere, helps to ensure the gift is not opened before Christmas.
8. Item/s should be wargame related, though it's OK to throw in something odd if you want to.
Well that's all I can think of at the moment regards rules etc. You have right up to the 22nd of October to sign up but I would appreciate some early birds as it makes organising it that much easier. I will need the blog name and an e-mail address for you (plus your real name)
You can sign up by sending me an email via the gadget to the right of the posts or details in the comments section. Those returning, if you could let me know your details, please, just in case they somehow get lost in the hand-over from Ian and Cath to me.
And that should be about it. I have taken part in Secret Santa in the past, so do have experience of Ian's event. I will also point out that Secret Santa 2017 is in no way associated with Colonel Bill's Wargames Depot - I (Roy) am running it privately and separately from my duties to Colonel Bill's, so please don't contact Colonel Bill's with Secret Santa enquiries to take part - you need to contact me through this blog or via email.
For those unfamiliar with me, I am active on several forums (using the username Roy Williamson) and have been blogging since 2012 - though this blog does get regularly 'spring cleaned' and old posts no longer relevant removed. I am from Catterick Garrison in the North East of England, and have previously been a member of four wargames clubs (historical and GW) and been enjoying the hobby since 1993. I'm in my mid-30s and previously worked in the construction industry as a carpenter/joiner, though at present am recovering from illness.
Me (on the right), working Gateshead show 2017
Picture courtesy of 'Zabadak'