This Blog displays messages that Colonel Bill's Wargames Depot posts upon it's Facebook Page, and will sometimes feature other snippets of information as and when received.

Friday, 16 June 2017

Plans For Forgotten Heroes - Figures 2 & 3

My second, intended, Forgotten Heroes [LINK] entry will be a character from the recent Powers (tv) show: Calista Secor.
Powers is an American series adaptation of the Powers comic book series published by Marvel Comics under their Icon Comics imprint.

The Powers series' plot (from Wikipedia):
""In a world where humans and superheroes called "Powers" co-exist, a former Power, Christian Walker, has reinvented himself as a homicide detective after his own powers were taken from him. He and his partner Deena Pilgrim work for the Powers Division of the Los Angeles Police Department, investigating crimes involving superhumans, who are at once crimefighting heroes and pop celebrities managed by specialized advertising agencies.""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_(U.S._TV_series)
Calista Secor (series) bio:
""Calista Secor is a "wannabe", meaning she hangs around with powers, wanting powers of her own. She also may or may not be homeless, and is seen wandering around. Calista is convinced that she has powers that will awaken someday, and she intends to use her powers on her abusive father for hurting her mother.""

In series 2 of the program Calista is proven correct, that she does have powers. She models herself on her own Powers hero, Retro Girl.
Calista Secor (comic) bio:
""Calista Secor is a young girl who develops a close bond with homicide detective Christian Walker when she's placed in his temporary custody. Walker was responsible for arresting Flinch, the criminal who murdered Calista's mother. It is believed that Calista contains the reincarnated spirit of the hero Retro Girl, making her a Power. She has demonstrated special abilities and used them to become the second Retro Girl.""

I'm hoping to recreate a miniature of the live action series Power character, as portrayed by the actress Olesya Rulin.
###   ###   ###
My third, intended, Forgotten Heroes entry will be a 1950s comic heroine.

When I first read the rules for FH I didn't really know what character to attempt. In fact, I hadn't the first idea. So, reading the suggestions (the Leopard of Lime Street being a BIG help), I did a Google image search and found Leopard Girl.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/l/leopardgirl.htm

I've found a couple of short bio's for the character:

""Gwen was the secretary for a scientist who works in the middle of the jungle because civilization is too noisy for him. Gwen is given a mystical formfitting leopard outfit by a witchdoctor which grants her enhanced agility, knowledge of the jungle and the ability to summon leopards to aid in times of trouble.""

""Gwen was the assistant to scientist Dr. Hans Kreitzer, who had travelled to the jungles of Africa to conduct research. Unknown to the Doctor and her fellow assistant Peter, Gwen maintained a dual identity, the Leopard Girl, feared by criminals and respected throughout the jungle by natives and animals alike. Even the jungle ghosts liked and helped her. She often worked with a pack of leopards whom she summoned and controlled with her "cry of the leopard." ""
###   ###   ###

So those are my other two for FH. I've done a Google search and gone through some companies that sell superhero miniatures, but can't find any figures of the two readily available. All that is left for me to do is put in an order for the stock models and then try to get them done before the end of the month.

Cheers for reading

26 comments:

  1. Great to see you bubbling with enthusiasm and creativity, Roy. Terrific choices, and looking forward to seeing how these turn out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Blaxkleric: Thanks Simon

      I forgot to mention that Leopard Girl will be as she was in her heyday, and not as she was later featured in the Valhalla Villas retirement home for ex-heroes and ex-villians.

      Delete
  2. YES, YES, YES!!!! these are brilliant choices Roy, Leopard girl will be a great entry.....but Retro Girl!!! can't wait for her. I loved Powers.

    In fact my original planned entries for this years Forgotten Heroes were going to be Retro Girls 1 and 2 from the TV series (though that didn't pan out of course). But great love Retro girl (doesn't hurt that Olysea is so damn HOT tbh, even if I am old enough to be her dad).

    Really,really looking forward to this.

    Cheers Roger. (re-posted to the FH site)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dick Garrison: Thanks Roger

      If I manage to secure my intended stock miniature to base the Retro Girl model on it'll be a tale in itself!

      Email to Company A: Can you go to Company B at this show and pick this model up for me?

      Email to Company B: Can I send someone over to you to pick a model up at St Helens show?

      If it all works I'll be able to pick the miniature up on Tuesday, when I hand back those Samurai.

      Delete
    2. Actually I'm seriously considering going to Phalanx myself tomorrow, as it's my local show.

      Though I'm not supposed to be buying any figures this year, so I'll have to resist temptation.

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. Both companies are the two most local to me ... and yet I'm trying to buy something at the other side of the country. Its always the case with me.

      If you do make it and want to have a go at your own Retro Girl, I'm thinking 'FURY' from Crossover Miniatures - sold via Pendraken Miniatures/Minibits. It should be a simple painting task and not require any converting (though I've only seen the figure on the Internet). Might be of interest to you

      Delete
    4. Thanks Roy, I'll take a look, and hopefully resist buying....mind you it is fathers day and presents don't count.

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
  3. How can we forget these wonderful (and sexy!) heroes...nice choices Roy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Phil: Thanks Phil

      I did look at working on some male heroes, but couldn't find suitable miniatures to work with. Still, I get to paint pretty ladies instead

      Delete
  4. Briiliant choice of heroines, Roy, although I don't envy you the detailing on Leopard Girl's costume. I did a leopard themed villain a ehile ago and getting the patterning right on his costume was very time-consumimg, but the end result was worthwhile. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Carrion Crow: Haha! Yes, I'm looking forward to the leopard print design. It might just be my first and only attempt at recreating such

      Delete
  5. This is brilliant Roy, you have really entered into the spirit of the vent, can't wait to see what you produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Michael Awdry: Thanks Michael

      Unfortunately I couldn't find a figure to recreate the murderous hero/villain Ichi from the Japanese manga/film "Ichi the Killer". I'll have to keep my eyes peeled

      Delete
  6. A couple of excellent choices - I will watch with avid interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @pulpcitizen: Thanks. Just got to hope I receive some toys to work with before the deadline

      Delete
  7. Good choices, Roy. I wish you all the best in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bryan Scott: Thanks Bryan. I wish you likewise with your own work - I'm really looking forward to seeing what you create for The Bug Hunters team.

      Delete
  8. I haven't a clue who any of the current batch of 'heroes' on various blogs, so thanks for the inof and good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: Haha, I haven't a clue about most of them either. Like my return to painting and gaming five or so years ago, all this superheroes stuff is Blaxkleric's fault (also, in this instance Mr Awdry is partly to blame). Still its something to do, and generates plenty of banter on the blogs.
      Thanks Joe

      Delete
  9. I've just read Powers for the first time; I didn't realise that there was a TV series of it. Great choice of figures; looking forward to seeing how Leopard Girl's spots come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kaptain Kobold: The flip side of the Powers coin is that I wasn't aware the tv show was based on a comic. Same with Wynonna Earp, that the same tv channel is now showing now Powers has finished.

      I'm also looking forward to seeing howing I translate the leopard skin pattern onto the miniature. Probably be a pain, but it'll be an interesting experience.

      Thanks Kaptain

      Delete
  10. Great stuff, Roy. Look forward to seeing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Gordon Richards: I only hope the mini's arrive quick enough ... I knew I should have ordered them at the start of the month. Doh!

      Delete
  11. For those interested:

    At the St Helens show, on Saturday, Pendraken Miniatures passed on to Colonel Bill's the miniature I want to use for Retro Girl. Said figure then went on a road trip to Farnborough with Colonel Bill's on Sunday. Pendraken Miniatures is 35mins distance from my house (Richmond, Yorkshire) - Colonel Bill's is 20mins distance. Figure for FH was picked up today, at Colonel Bill's and brought home - It is very tired after it's long weekend of travelling!

    The figure for Leopard Girl is in the post, I am told.

    ReplyDelete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com