Friday, 2 December 2016

To the Strongest! at Battleground Show 2016 - The Old Guard Wargames Group

The Old Guard Wargames Group was invited to put on a game at the recent Battleground show, and, being only a small group, all we had to offer at the time was the 28mm Ancients of John and Pete - both of whom collect armies for the late Republican Roman period (can you tell I don't know what they collect?).

So, with a few weeks to the show, both John and Pete organised their collections into shape, writing out an scenario and lists for an 'official' Roman army to give battle to a 'rebellious' Hispanic Roman army - or something like that. I'm afraid I can't remember the details. 

Now my camera died before I could take any pictures, so I've had to 'borrow' images from various people / the Pendraken Miniatures forum - If you see an image belonging to yourself and you wish it removed, then please get in touch and I will happily do so. Thank you.

The rules used were Simon Miller's 'To the Strongest!' and they gave a very close-run game. Pete's Hispanic's took a very early lead in the victory stakes, only for John's 'official' Romans to peg them back after a series of brutal melee rounds. But in the end, when John could have just won it, Pete's Hispanic's delivered the killer blow and swept the 'official' Romans from the field. 
Me, the stripey topped ginger one, sitting next to the stood John. Pete being partly hidden by the sign
(I promise I haven't cropped their faces from the shot, so I can claim ownership of the game!)
Club night tonight and I'm playing Stuart in a game of To the Strongest!, using his 6mm Ancient Greeks and Persians. I'm not sure if its to be a one-on-one game, or a group affair, but I'll take my camera (as well as the required decks of playing cards) and will write up a blog post sometime over the weekend.

Cheers,
Roy

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. @Martin Cooke: Thanks Martin. We're pencilled in to demo at next year's show, so hopefully it'll be another good game. We'll have plenty of time to work on some purpose-built terrain, too.

      Delete
  2. Love the look of these To the Strongest games...suitably epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Gordon Richards: Yes, I had my second game last night, though the first where I'd actually had time to read the rules, and they did provide a good game with opportunities for me to attempt various strategies with my army. [see new blog post for further explanation]

      Delete
  3. Spectacular lines of troops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Phil: Yes! John loves his Republican Romans and could have, probably, filled an entire side of the table with painted Roman units - No doubt in two long lines of well-trained legionnaires.

      Delete
  4. A great looking game which I hardly noticed I was so busy😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Matt Crump: Yes, I know that occurrence. Last year I was the same with the game I helped with, and decided that this year I wanted to be free to come and go as I pleased.

      We're pencilled in for a game at next year's show, so hopefully we'll sort out a plan asap and begin work on a table layout and forces with plenty of time.

      Delete
  5. Game looks excellentand sounds like it played well too. It must be quite difficult settling on a set of rules given that there are so many 'newish' ones. Sill doesn't mke me change my mind about selling my Romans and Celts though !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: Yes, now I've got involved in a club all I ever hear are rules questions. I don't know how many sets of Ancients rules the chaps at the club have, I'm glad I've only got the one and its the one that's used at the moment. All these rules books are a complete pain in the backside, is my true opinion.

      Delete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com