Friday, 30 December 2016

Last Club Meet Of 2016

The Old Guard Wargaming Group' s first all-day meet. 

I think we got in six games (counting multiple plays) amongst the seven of us in attendance. 

Dave Docherty brought his 28mm Western shootout game - John won. 

Stuart and Pete played a 400pt game of Impetus. 

I did a first attempt at running my Faustus Furius chariot racing game - John won. 

Steve and John got in a couple of games of 15mm Basic Impetus - I believe John won the first of the two games (can anyone see a pattern here?). 

I got out my Star Wars X-Wing set and attempted to figure out the rules while Dave and Martin Cooke played out a one-on-one interceptor spacefigher dogfight. 

Definitely a useful day for me, learning the rules to the chariot game and X-Wing (of which I'm hoping to be playing a lot more of, starting in 2017). I also picked up some more 10mm ACW Pendraken Miniatures figures that was part of a club bulk purchase, so those will be seeing paint in the not too distant future.

A brief summary of the Cowboy game. (imagine the plot of 3:10 to Yuma ... The bounty hunter has to get his prisoner onto the train and leave the board with them both alive, while facing off against the prisoner's two brothers / two Pinkertons who want to claim the bounty for the Agency / and the local sheriff and deputy). 

Spoiler. John was the Sheriff. He won the game. Not only did he (in one turn!) shoot dead the prisoner, but he also shot the Bounty Hunter (played be me!!) through the heart - killing my character.

The game didn't half see some poor dice rolling when it came to shooting. Though I did manage to shoot at the horse hooked-up to a wagon and got it to stampede ... shame it didn't provide the cover I was hoping for, plus it failed to run anyone down. Boo!

Some of the early game highlights featured the likes of a Cowboy attempting to steal dynamite from a shop - but failing to find any. The other Cowboy getting stuck into a Pinkerton with his Bowie knife and near-enough gutting the detective. Lots of poor dice rolls for shooting by most of us! 

Later game highlights being my Bounty Hunter dragging his wounded prisoner towards the train, just managing to jump aboard the last wagon as it began to set off. Then all hell broke loose as a Pinkerton agent, the Cowboys and the Sheriff all descended on the train and lead started to fly ... Then the Sheriff decided to uncouple the second to last wagon from the train, meaning we were all on the wrong end of the uncoupling -  and the scenario was all about the Bounty Hunter escaping on the train. Bugger!

So, off jumps the Bounty Hunter, dragging along his prisoner, as the prisoner's brothers (the Cowboys) attempt to stop all this. The Bounty Hunter runs his prisoner as fast as he can up the line in an attempt to jump aboard the last, still coupled, carriage ... all for the nought, as the Sheriff rolls on by on the uncoupled wagon, overtaking my guy - Bang! one shot finishes off the prisoner. Bang! one shot kills the Bounty Hunter... 

Bugger. 
The calm before the gunfight!
Some dozy wazzock (me) opens fire first and all hell breaks loose!

The prisoner is injured and undergoing treatment from the busy-body doctor. 
The two Pinkerton Agents confront the Bounty Hunter (the model looking like Clint Eastwood)
The Bounty Hunter (and prisoner) make a run for the train ... only for the bloody thing to 
steam off, they only managing to jump on board the last wagon.
The stampeding horse-drawn wagon moves off down the Main Strip
The Pinkerton player decides he best get his men closer to the train - When I think about it, they did 
reach the train before the Bounty Hunter managed to jump aboard. There being a three-way dust up between Bounty Hunter v Pinkerton v Cowboy ... of which the Bounty Hunter brought a gun to a knife fight (or something like that).
Yes, the Sheriff's uncoupled the last two wagons from the train. There he is, standing tall at the front of the flatbed wagon...
...first killing the prisoner. Then the Bounty Hunter. Then (bloody hell, how many moves did he have in one turn!!) he injures a Cowboy.
Game end. Obviously the Sheriff will be getting re-elect next term.
 28mm Impetus.
Carthaginians vs. Gauls
 The Gauls.
 The table before lunch.
 The table while all the others have gone to the pub for their dinners  
(Yes, I was the billy-no-mates eating my sarnies on me tod. My choice, I hasten to add). 
 The Carthaginians
 Still the Carthaginians!
 The game after the first turn (probably?)
After lunch this game made an appearance. Thanks Dad for building me the Circus 😁
 After that game, above, I ventured back to the Impetus table ... and realised I had no idea what was happening. Obviously the others did!
 Basic Impetus in 15mm made an appearance. It looks very dignified in its restraint - when viewed against the mass melee of the preceding photograph.
 Spartans. 
 Athenians.
 Its all looking Greek to me. (Yes, I know, a terrible attempt at humour)
 The 28mm Impetus game. Lots of melee.
 The 15mm Basic Impetus game. A smaller melee. 
And the photo's run out, as I then sorted out a X-Wing learning game (mainly so I could learn the rules). Then it was packing up and kicking out time.

Next all-day game meet to be announced.

Cheers
Roy

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. @Mario Morrhaye: Thank you. It was definitely one of the highlights of 2016 for me.

      Delete
  2. top day. Nobody had a clue what was going on in the Gauls vs Carthaginians

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Martin Cooke: It looks too complex a set of rules for me. The other month's game of To the Strongest!, using Stuart's 6mm armies, was my favourite game that I played in this year. Far easier to understand what was happening when using a box-grid battlefield and all the units are on small, standardised bases. That game took on more of a chess-like feel of strategy than the mass melee that the 28mm games I've played in seemed to end up with.

      Delete
  3. You and Dave Doc in the same club. IF I lived close I would deffo go there. Two great blokes.

    All the games look good and I suspect John was spiking all the drinks so he could win! Sounds like it to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Clint: There's definitely a number of top chaps in my neck of the woods that I've met up with over the last couple of years. The NE actually has a rich seam of talent, businesses and gamers when I look at them all.

      I think John was just benefiting from 'Home Advantage', as all of us outsiders descended onto his turf - that and the chariot game is unpredictable, in that if you roll the wrong result in an attack or collision you can see the target benefit from the result and bounce forward ahead and the attacker fluffing it and loosing concentration and control.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. @Michał Kucharski: Thank you, and you're welcome.

      Delete
  5. Very nice...and this Western table is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Phil: Yes, it was a top day and I definitely agree with you about Dave's Western collection.

      Delete
  6. What a great day, would have loved to have been there. That western game looks amazing as does the chariot game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @da Gobbo Grotto: Yes, David's games are always spectacular to view and play from what I've seen / played. He's also very good, and experienced, at running participation games, so is a very useful person for me to listen and learn from.

      I got lots of encouraging comments, feedback and ideas from the chariot game, so plans are afoot to improve upon its first outing.

      Delete
  7. A lucky chap to have such a great club! The games look great...especially the cowboy game (lovely table) and I love the Faustus Furius circus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Gordon Richards: Yes, I've always been fortunate to land on my feet when it comes to local clubs. This is my third now (two previous being GW clubs back in the 90s) and the only 'odd' character in the bunch is me ... But they thankfully tolerate my idiosyncrasies and keep letting me come along.

      Delete
  8. Good looking selection of games........I wish we had a club slightly nearer to us 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Matt Crump: Ha, there is so much selection of games to choose from its a struggle arranging who's playing what. Then I've got to make sure I don't stretch myself too thin and get involved with anything and everything.

      Delete
  9. Great way to finish the year off.
    I look forward to see what 2017 brings.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Stuart S: A tiring day, that my body is still recovering from.

      2017 for me will be all about sorting out something that can be played with regularly, and supporting it with some of those pre-painted play straight from the box games.

      Delete
  10. Must have been a geat day, it certainly looked and sounded like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: It was. Very useful to, in that it allowed others to experience different games that they wouldn't normally play.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a tremendous day out Roy. I always love to see Dave's Serenity board in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Michael Awdry: Yes, another good meeting of the group - only trouble is, that seeing Dave's toys has made me want to sort out my own Cowboy stuff now.

      Delete
  12. A fine report Roy. It was indeed a great day out . Looking forward to the next one

    ReplyDelete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com