Sunday, 23 October 2016

Ancient Chariot Racing - Colonel Bills Style!

So what's this all about then? I hear you all ask (or, more than likely, nobody asking). Ancient Chariot Racing, aren't you meant to be painted 15mm 7YW!

Yes, well, ahem. This should only be a slight diversion - Blame the Battleground Show (Stockton, next month) and Leon 'Pendraken' asking a member of the group I'm in whether we'd like to put on a game at the show, and me suggesting we do something easy.

One; I think The Old Guard Wargames Club (North Riding) will be putting on a 28mm Ancients games, with Republican Romans versus Carthaginians (I think?). Two; I then got to talking with Stu, when last I was at the Colonel Bill's office, and the Chariot Racing game sort of evolved into a possible 'just-use-Colonel-Bills-stuff-and-if-at-a-show-stick-the-game-in-front-of-my-stall idea (not the first show game idea myself and Stu have had, but to do such would all be down to me, since Stu et al have too much to do already and I'd need to look after the game on the day, on my own).

So, this Ancient Chariot Racing plan is my own idea, probably will come to nought, and may or may not feature at a gaming club meet (the group I'm in, or Stu's gaming group), or, alternatively, may see some limited attendance at UK shows. But I make no promises!

This is all a WIP, so far. I, and my Father, only began work on it Thursday afternoon - Me, the toy soldier models; my Father, (a retired carpenter-joiner) the 'Hippodrome' racing track. [My old man isn't a gamer, it needs to be said - I wish he was!]

The photo's; [Note: Painting is 'gaming friendly -style', meant to be knocked about and easily repaired on the road. It, hopefully, looks tidy, but there's nothing complex about the work and all colours are straight from the paint pot.]

28mm Celt Chariot crew & Ancient Horses are available from Colonel Bills - Depot Battalion range.
MDF Celt Chariots are 4Ground - sold via Colonel Bills, at shows and through the Internet
A few people come over to Colonel Bills, at the shows, and say they've seen the blog and picked up a few things that I've shown on here. That being the case, I've attempted to illustrate and explain what I've done with the models - Note: at time of photo' the models are in need of paint repair work, as explained in photos. 
 The 28mm resin jars (below) are sold by Magister Militum - Baueda terrain pieces.
Into my Father's Joiner's Shop. The finished race track will be modular, as in cut down the middle to allow it to be stored / transported in two halves. Such method also allows for an 'extension' to be placed in the middle of the track, at any later date, should it be deemed necessary.
So, two more Ancient Celt Chariots to make and paint, and the race track to finish off. Then there's some 'Oil Spill' dirty trick markers to make, 'Caltrop' dirty trick markers, and 'Track Invasion' crowd markers - All of which will be made using miniatures.

I'm hoping to have all this finished by November 6th - the next gaming club meet, so I can show off what it all looks like, and test out the storage / transport of it all.

Cheers for looking.

Roy

24 comments:

  1. Excellent, that's 3 games I have to play at Stockton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Martin Cooke: I'm not sure if this will be at Stockton, to be honest. I'd rather not be tied down to a game, myself, as then I can play in Dave's and Matt's and also be free to shop.

      As far as I know I'm not involved in the group I'm in's demo game of Ancients. And with them already doing that game there won't be any feet on the ground at the show to help me look after this game if it did feature. There is Durham show and Shildon, next year, or maybe even an up-North bloggers meet.

      Delete
  2. The size of the circus is only appreciated when your 28mm chariot is in the photos - your dad is gifted.
    The detailing you've put on the chariot must have been a work of love, to give that much attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: Aye, my father isn't bad when it comes to working with the tools. Age is the problem, with arthritis and eyesight being the robber of skills long practised.

      To be honest, I'm not certain if the track isn't too short. It could do with a good six inches in length, more. The central wall needs reducing, as the turn is too tight at the squared starting end. But this is all able to be resolved before all fixed, filled and painted. And all issues brought about due to my designs.

      The detailing on the chariots, the reins at least, is thanks to Stu (Col Bill) having me do similar with a wagon I painted for display. I've previously used the same methods on naval wargaming models, so there is an easy cross-over of techniques. I've got to say that doing them completes the model nicely, I think, so I'm happy to carry on with Stu's suggestion of adding thread work to models, where needed.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. @Jonathan Freitag: Thank you

      Jonathan, do you have a blog? I can't seem to find you

      Delete
    2. I do! https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    3. @Jonathan Freitag: Thanks

      You might have spotted that I did manage to track you down, this afternoon. I'd forgotten about using Google+ profile pages for blog addresses. Thanks again

      Delete
  4. Looks great so far ! I'm looking forward to see the finished version & some races ! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mario Morrhaye: Thanks. Yes, hopefully I'll have this done by the 6th and taken along to the next gaming club meeting I'll be attending.

      Delete
  5. Looking good so far. Be good to see it with an extra insert for the straights , as I think it may look even better. If you wanted to try something different to thread some simple twisted wire (fuse or garden) makes good reins .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dave Docherty: Yes, I do reckon it is too short, at present. Recommended track length is 48" and this is coming in at 41 1/2", so just that little bit extra might make all the difference. Reducing the central 'wall' will help, as its too close to the start end, too.

      Delete
  6. Nice work on the chariot and the circus. Good luck with running the game at shows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @TamsinP: Thank you. Tiny, quiet, local shows might be all that I'll ever be able to manage, but I'll give it a try someday. Of course, running games at a rowdy club night will probably prove the more testing for the umpire! :))

      Delete
  7. Brilliant! Love the olive oil amphorae for dirty tricks. Look forward to seeing the finished track...now I'm off to watch some Ben Hur (the original, of course)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Gordon Richards: Thank you.

      Yes, oils spills, caltrops and crowd invasions all feature in the rules. So do ramming opponents into walls, using bows to distract other drivers when ducking non-lethal arrows (basically the inclusion of archers is to allow any type of model already painted access to inclusion in the game). As does gaining control of the invading spectators and moving them into the path of other chariots.

      Delete
  8. Love the racetack, can't wait to see some pics of the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ray Rousell: Thanks Ray

      Bit of a breather taken today, then back at it all tomorrow.

      Delete
  9. I almost missed this post.
    Cracking work. I would go for a smaller scale but bigger will look better at a show.

    Look forward to seeing more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Clint: Thanks Clint

      Yes, this 'project' came about after we'd talked about chariots and Pendraken's 10mm. It was my mentioning of the Faustus Furius rules to you that made me think that doing this type of game might be an easy solution to a club or show game.

      As you say, larger should be easier for a show. With the added bonus being I can use Stu's stuff and, if I went that way, keep it all Col. Bills items and then it could become a Col. Bills show game if it looks / plays anyway half-decent.

      Delete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com