Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Crusades Club Game + 15mm 7YW Army Project

So what happened at the club this last weekend? The answer, less than there should have been, but a lot more than there could have been if the we'd allowed the double-booking of the hall to bother us.

Steve - this blog - hosted a game over at his house, using his 15mm Crusades armies with Impetus being the rules.

I can't comment on the game, as I'd not slept much the night before, so I went home to get some much needed sleep.
Only two photos of the game, I'm afraid.

###

So what am I up to, in light of now being a member of a club? 15mm Seven Years War, Anglo-Hanoverian army, that's what. John (another club member) has a large Freikorp15 French army, which he's rebased for Honours of War, and I've decided to collect an opposing force to allow the group and myself to use. [I'm also collecting 28mm Ancient Germans, but that's another story.]

I sent off for a trial order to Total System Scenics / QRF, who own the Freikorp15 range now, and received the small order from them the other day. Last night I painted a couple of test figures, to learn the paint colour order to 'assembly line paint' the Musketeer figures and generally see what I can do in the scale - as I've only previously dabbled in Peter Pig bits.
British musketeers belonging my interpretation of the 12th Foot. A Minden Regiment. I've gone with the black/grey gaiters post-1759 to aid a balance between colours - And when I paint the Hanover battalions they will be in white gaiters.
 So, two musketeers down and ten more to paint - then 4 command and 4 grenadier company.
I've organised the paints I'll be using into lines based on order-of-use. 1st Layer line being what I'll use first, and then I'll progress to the 2nd Layer, where I paint the contrasting paint layer atop the darker 1st Layer colours. 
 Image 1: And it begins.

No idea how long it will take me to paint a 20 figure battalion - and make the flags - but I may as well blog about it, to help motivate me.

Next posts will be Colonel Bill posts, as there's a lot of new stock - Colonial and Darkest Africa second hand figures - and new releases for the Depot Battalion range to show.

Cheers.
Roy

18 comments:

  1. Nice work, I do love the 7YW, I do seem to remember Freikorps being rather brittle? Is that still the case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ray Rousell: Thanks

      So far the only thing I've encountered with the figures is that the horse's legs are rather bendy, more with the figures looking like they're falling forward than to the sides. A quick pulling on the horse's head and the horse can be stood back up, luckily.

      If the other chap didn't already have Freikorp figures, that he asked if I could match, I'd have gone with the Eureka 18mm figures from Col. Bills. Those look really sturdy figures.

      Delete
  2. 18th Century is my first true love you fellows look quite nice so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Adam Carriere: Thank you

      Most of what I know of the C18th is either from the turn of the century or the last decade of it. Apart from visiting the Culloden Moor battle site and watching Rob Roy or The Last of the Mohicans I'm not too familiar with the mid-C18th.

      Delete
  3. The original figures are very brittle(I think there was a lot of zinc in the alloy). I believe that they are now cast in a much more user friendly metal. I'm hoping that the new bases will protect them a bit. I don't have the time or inclination to replace the 1000 plus frenchies with new toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @John Thompson: Hello John.

      The sculpts I got the other day do seem okay, so I thought it might have been a case of how they were cast prior to TSS owning the moulds. Players will just need to make sure not to bounce the dice when rolled, like cannon balls, around the figures when we're all playing.

      Delete
  4. They look as awesomely painted as they look delicate Roy. You really can pick out the detail on the smallest of scales, can't you. Terrific work mate. Good idea with the paint layers too. I wish I could be so organised :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Blaxkleric: Thanks Simon.

      Its actually getting to be a case of me being finding it easier to paint the smaller figures than the larger ones. I'm lucky that my eyes are good at close range and my hands have good brush control, as otherwise I'd just give up in frustration.

      The assembly line and paints in a row probably stems back to me working on a joiners bench, or building site. Picking up the next tool or material to use without really thinking about it and just letting myself become lost in the job at hand. Either that or my OCD.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff, Roy! Look forward to some batreps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Gordon Richards: Thanks

      Hopefully I'll have enough 7YW painted to play with before the years out.

      Delete
  6. Really good, great to start a new period

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Martin Cooke: Thank you

      Yes, I've just been up in my attic painting room and put down a few more colours on the ten musketeers belonging this unit, so far so good.

      Only problem with this new period is my desire for more books. Not that Edwin King (Diplomatist Books) is complaining! :D

      Delete
  7. Very organised I'm in the mess school and paints all jumbled up 😀 SYW a big project !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Matt Crump: The paint areas organised, but I dare not show you what the rest of the attic painting room is like ... Things just chucked anywhere, if I'm being honest :(

      I worked it out on paper what I want to collect for these, at first, and its x9 inf. x5 horse. x1-2 artillery. 3 or so officers. I've also gone further and know all the uniform details, what codes to buy and what I need to paint first - I'm scaring myself with how organised I am.

      Delete
  8. My word you are organised Roy, best of luck with the project, looks like you are off to a cracking start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Michael Awdry: Too organised if anything ... My head is starting to ache!

      Yes, its all going smashing at present. Edwin King has just come through for me and got me two books on uniforms I was struggling to find, so I'm all set to paint cavalry and artillery now.

      Delete
  9. What a bolw, arriving to find your hall booked! Time for a new venue methinks.
    I like the idea that you're delving into the 7YW, I wish I'd been able to afford to do it in 15mm. I have a large collection of the old Spencer Smith plastics (all I could afford 40 years ago!).
    The 7YW is probablly my favourite wargames period; Ive always thought of it as the first real 'World War'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: We've hopefully got a new venue sorted, its just trying to get all parties together for a meet in early November that is the hard part.

      I don't know much about the 7YW, to be honest. The 'Horse and Musket' period is my favoured wargaming subject, so I'm certainly more enthused to research and work on the subject matter. Luckily, an added benefit is, the research material is all in English and quite easy to obtain. It just means that any mistakes I now make are down to me, and I can't blame a dodgy translation :))

      Delete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com