Saturday, 5 March 2016

Hammerhead Show - Post 1 : The Haul

Today I've been down to Newark to the Hammerhead show. 

Now, I've taken rather a few photos of the games and they all need editing (things like cropping out children etc) before they can be posted on the blog, so I'm afraid that won't be done tonight. 

Show-wise, it seemed busy with plenty of show-goers in attendance. All of the games were being played, at one time or another, from what I could see. Pendraken Miniatures, Ainsty Castings and Colonel Bills did well trading-wise, I was told. So it seemingly was a good show. 

Er, truthfully. I just view shows as a big shopping trip. Hence why I don't get too excited about them, or participate in any games. I walked around the traders three times and found something new to buy each time ... my wallet may have wished I had played some games!

As I said. No photos of the games, this post. But I know people like to see what other's have bought, so here's my Haul.
Purchase number one from Pendraken Miniatures - £100 quickly spent. A real mixed bag here. All of it 10mm. Sci-Fi Zombie stuff. Fantasy Samurai Apes (for Pendraken's Warband rules). Various terrain and MDF items
We now jump to the last purchase of the day, again from Pendraken Miniatures. Buildings for my 10mm Zombie Apocalypse project (of which, a painted Land Rover, has been entered into the Pendraken Miniatures Painting Competition).
Ainsty Castings had a 40% sale off C.D. books and miniatures, so I rounded off my rules for 7ombieTV (read 10mm Zombie Apocalypse). Two blisters of 10mm terrain from The Baggage Trayne (again, Zombies). 25mm MDF bases from Colonel Bills (as you can never have enough bases. or so it seems).
More MDF bases, purchased as part of the first lot of Pendraken Miniatures bits (to be used for the Ancient Germans I got from Colonel Bills on Tuesday). Ainsty Castings sold me some Frostgrave spell cards and resin treasure piles, again for Frostgrave. And I also picked up some civilian figures for use in my Musketeer games (future project - how many is that that I now have?! - using Colonel Bills Depot Battalion ECW bits).
1st Corps Ancient Germans. Enough for another warband of [DEEP] Warriors for use with the To the Strongest! rules. (That'll be three [DEEP] Warrior units I now have to paint, thanks to all that I've bought this week).
Wargames Illustrated were selling off the January 2016 magazine for £1 each. So I bought it. February 2016's issue was £4.00, however. So I told them I didn't want it, as I was "too much of a skin-flint!" Nick Eyre (who happened to be at the stall at the time) joked that "if I came back next year it'll be available for £1."
Spoke to the chap at the KR Multicase (Lesley's Bits Box) stall and we sorted out which carry cases I need for my Star Wars X-Wing bits. So that's a future purchase. Malc (of Victorian Steel Rules and Forum) very kindly talked me through their game and gave me a free copy of the rules (which I then folded up and bent it out of shape, thanks to being in my back pocket. Whoops! Sorry Chaps).
The Pendraken Miniatures stall, and the "Dark Lord" (as some will call him) that is Leon P., hiding behind the paints rack in the middle of the shot. I don't know about calling him a dark lord, but between him and his father, Dave, they took the most money from me at the show. They seemingly do teach the dark arts to traders from Middlesbrough! ;)

Cheers.
Roy

16 comments:

  1. Seems like a great haul.

    Now hurry up and get them all done so that you can buy another big haul at the next show.

    Albanich next Saturday for us 'rebellious Scots'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jim Duncan: I only went and spent the money, today, that was earmarked for next week. Doh! That now means another trip to the bank...

      Yep, I'm still coming up to Albanich. Flying the flag for us Sassenachs. (I'll refrain from wearing my England shirt, though)

      Delete
    2. Now, there you go, another Englishman speaking about Scottish things without knowing the reality.

      Sassenach is a gaelic word for Saxon and directed at anyone born or from south of the Highland Line and also therefore unlikely to speak gaelic.

      Most Scots are sassenachs by that definition and certainly most cannot speak gaelic.

      Delete
    3. @Jim Duncan: Oh right, that's interesting to know. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  2. Cracking haul Roy and plenty of zed-related booty clearly. Glad you had a top time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Blaxkleric: Yep. Zombies, Ancient Germans and Samurai Apes! What a combination :)

      Delete
  3. That is a boat load of stuff, very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Martin Cooke: Yeah, quite the amount. I only hope I get to play with it.

      Delete
  4. Great collection of loot you have there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ray Rousell: Certainly the most I've ever bought at a show.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. @Gordon Richards: Yes, it made quite the big pile when I dumped it all on the floor last night. Probably not the best thing to do after spending so much on it :)

      Delete
  6. My word, that's a good haul Roy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Michael Awdry: The result of three trips around the traders :)
      At least I should have all that I need to finish off my 10mm Zombie Apocalypse project - It'll be nice to actually have one project finished.

      Delete
  7. Nice to see you're still only buying "essentials"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: Ha! I was actually very good with my spending.

      1) Bought a complete Warband 10mm army - that will get played with a local group.
      2) Finished off my 10mm Zombies and bought terrain for it (the rules are for it, too) - probably solo games at first, but I'll see if I can drag others in.
      3) Ancient Germans - so I've something to contribute when invited to play in others games, and not have to use just their figures.
      4) The 1672 is for the Musketeers project, that is yet to start.
      5) The Frostgrave bits will see action tonight in a game.

      It makes a change for me to actually buy stuff that has a definite purpose. It was only the WI magazine that I bought on the spur of the moment as it was so cheap, and it would give me something to read on the drive back.

      Delete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com